If I knew anything about superheroes, this is where I’d tell a superhero related anecdote. Alas, I know zilch about those people…are they people? What are they? I can’t be sure. I mean…I did used to ride the Batman and Superman rides at Six Flags. Does that count? If I got on any sort of ride like that now, I think you would for sure have to bury me. There isn’t enough Dramamine on this earth for me to do that now.
You can call these superhero muffins, Avenger muffins, Power Ranger muffins, Enrique Iglesias muffins, whatever you call them, they are delicious. I believe they are given that name because there is so much going on inside the muffin that they keep you full for a while.
-1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
-2 cups almond flour
-1 tsp. baking soda
-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/4 tsp. nutmeg
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
-1 tsp. vanilla
-6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted and then cooled a little
-1 cup peeled and grated carrots
-1 cup grated apple
-Mix ins: walnuts, pecans, chocolate chips, raisins
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs, butter, vanilla, and syrup together.
- Stir the carrots and apples into egg mixture and then add to the dry mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add in your mix-ins if you’d like.
- Pour into a prepared muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I usually can get more than 12 muffins out of this-usually 14-15.
These make a great breakfast or snack, and they freeze perfectly.
My favorite way to eat one is with my beloved pecan butter.
Hope you try these. They are a perfect breakfast this time of year, and you don’t need any Dramamine to enjoy these superheroes.