Did you see the “Unpopular Opinions” post floating around social media a few weeks ago? It was among posts like “College BINGO” and “See a pet. Show a pet.” The world was grasping at straws trying to find entertainment. The premise was: You come up with a list of things that the vast majority loves, but you do not. I didn’t post mine, but my roommate and I discussed what would be on our list. I’m surprised she didn’t move out based on her reaction to two of my items. Here we go in no particular order..
- Naps. I hate a nap. Maybe it’s my go go go mentality or the FOMO that I experience, but I hate to take a nap. Also, it takes me FOREVER to go to sleep, so once I’ve finally drifted off, it’s time to get up. When Caroline and I lived together, she would almost always take a Sunday afternoon nap. It drove me nuts. Play with me!
2. Steak. I don’t get it. Turn that into a cheeseburger, and I’m happy.
3. Pets. I’m sorry. I know. I’m that person. I’ll never be a pet person, and I’ve got really good dog names locked and loaded. The chances of me using them are slim though.
4. Mac and cheese. This is the one that sent my roommate off the rails.
“But Kat, have you ever had like good mac and cheese? Not box stuff?”
I just don’t get it. It’s pasta and cheese. It’s bland. Commence asking me if I’ve had mac and cheese from ____________________ because theirs is THE BEST.
5. Meryl Streep. This is the OTHER one that sent my roommate to Craigslist looking for my replacement. She’s fine. She’s talented. I just don’t think she’s THAT good. I don’t like her style. I don’t like her attitude. There. I said it.
6. Snow. I hate it. I don’t like being cold. I think it’s pretty for like five minutes then I’m done. It could stem from that time that Caroline and I sat in standstill Atlanta traffic for about nine hours because of snow then abandoned her car on the side of the road. That COULD play a role in it.
7. Jeans. Give me a dress or a workout legging all day every day.
8. Seafood at the beach. Nothing about that excites me. Give me chicken fingers and a hushpuppy. Mmmmmk?
9. Professional sports. There’s a running joke among my friend group that I just shout “Go sports!” at games I go to. I enjoy the social aspect of going to a game, but I cannot watch on tv. And it’s not because I don’t understand. Contrary to what most of my friends think, I actually know the rules and know what’s happening. I’m v good at playing dumb. I just don’t care. I’d much rather be playing than watching.
10. Star Wars. Literally like thirty minutes ago I asked my roommate, “What’s that quote from Star Wars about responsibility and power?”
“Well, Kat that’s not from Star Wars. It’s from Spiderman.”
I just assume if I don’t know it, it’s probably from Star Wars. He’s his father. Baby yoda. Gold bikini. Blah blah blah.
- Coffee. I’ve tried it all the ways and find it disgusting. You won’t convince me otherwise. Anyway you do it, it will taste like a candle.
2. Cats. Honestly, they are terrifying to me. They’re the worst.
3. New Year’s Eve. In my world, it’s the saddest day of the year. I don’t understand the hype behind it, and I’ll never be excited about it. Who wants to invite me to their New Year’s Party now?
4. Dr. Seuss. I loathe any and all of his books. I won’t read them in a boat, with a goat, in a car, or near and far. Yes, they rhyme, but they’re terrible. There are SO many better choices out there, and if you claim you’re a fan, I’ll question whether or not you’ve actually read a decent children’s book. I’ve always said I could never teach Kindergarten because I would refuse to participate in Dr. Seuss Day that haunts us every spring.
5. Nutella. I don’t know why people love that stuff so much. It tastes synthetic mainly because it is. Blah.
6. Fingernails that have any length whatsoever. Why do people love growing out their nails?! To me, they are germ catchers.
7. Harry Potter. While, I appreciate the creativity behind it, I don’t want anything to do with it and think it’s weird. I don’t like fantasy worlds.
This picture makes me look like a fan, but I am not. That man I’m married to is though. I’m a Slytherin, or maybe I’m a muggle, or maybe I’m a Dumbledore. I don’t have a clue about anything I just said; I might as well have been speaking Japanese.
8. Hobby Lobby Decor. Nah.
9. The Princess Bride. I’m typing this after Kat has typed up her portion, and I could bet $4 million that I’ll get a text about putting this one. I don’t know why this movie has stood the test of time. Once again, there are so many better ones out there.
10. Justin Timberlake and Beyonce. Yea. I went there.
Despite us airing our grievances for all to read, we are lovely people. At least we’d like to think we are. Don’t judge us if you love taking a nap after reading a Dr. Seuss book. We will still be your friend.
We’d love to know what your unpopular opinions are. Please share!